Are Wedding Favors Still ‘in’?
Wedding favors can vary based on couples and their interests. Some couples opt for none at all, while others like to add in this personalized touch to feature a lost loved one with the seeds of their favorite flowers or their favorite fur buddy, by having homemade dog treats. Whether you decide to go all out or skip the favors entirely, it’s up to you and your partner!
The Tradition of Wedding Favors
Wedding favors have been common since 16th century Europe and were given to guests as a thank you for traveling days-sometimes even weeks- to attend a wedding. Original wedding favors varied based upon the wealth of the family and ranged from ‘love knots’ to symbolize the couples bond to 5 pieces of candy or almonds to represent the ‘5 hopes of the new family’ which were fertility, health, wealth, happiness and longevity.
Most weddings in the U.S. today have favors that are more representative of the couple and their way of life. Although favors have been seen as a wedding tradition, some may see them as an unnecessary expense. Before you decide which side you fall on, let’s go through some of the pros and cons of both!
- Wedding favors can be a fun and memorable way to tell your guests thank you for attending your big day. You can personalize the favors to truly be something you and your significant other love.
- The tradition of it all might be something very important to you or your significant other. Make sure to ask the opinion of both parties on this before making a final call.
- You have a chance to showcase your favorite local bakery or shop to your family members and friends!
- Unfortunately, a lot of guests will forget or walk right past the favors without a second thought. At the end of the night, you can potentially be left with a lot of expensive favors going into the trash.
- Speaking of expensive… depending on what you want as your favors, these can eat away at your budget pretty easily.
- Even if you decide to hand make your favors to cut costs, it is a lot of extra time and effort for something that is likely to be left behind.
Still Favoring Favors?
If you would like to provide wedding favors, we have a few suggestions to make sure as many guests as possible utilize them!
- Make it something they’ll use at the wedding such as a customized cup that bartenders pour their drinks in or fun things to add to the dance floor like glow sticks or rings! This can really take the dance floor to the next level, is fun for all ages and makes for some great photos.
- Have edible favors at each place setting or table. This will guarantee guests see the favors and they may even have it as a sweet treat after dinner.
- Be practical! If it is something one might use regularly, they will be more likely to take it home. This could be hand sanitizer, Chapstick, lotion or even a small candle.
At the end of the day, the decision is yours- and lucky for you, we’re here to help either way!
Associate Wedding Coordinator | Content Creator
Cue The Champagne Event Planning and Design Chattanooga Tennessee’s Premier
Wedding Planning and Event Studio Owned by Chattanooga Wedding Planner and Wedding Coordinator Shaun M.Teague
Cue the Champagne Event Planning + Design offers Wedding Day Event Management Services formerly known as Day of Wedding Coordination, Full Service Wedding Planning Services, Chattanooga Wedding Flowers ,Elopement Planning and Event Design Services for all your Social and Corporate Events. Cue The Champagne Event Planning and Design also offer Chattanooga Wedding Flowers for your wedding and event planning needs.
Cue The Champagne Event Planning + Design caters to Weddings and Events in Chattanooga Tennessee and Atlanta, Georgia Wedding locations and Worldwide