We all know and love the tradition of the newlyweds first dance. It is such a simple and intimate moment that brings us all- or at least us at CTC- close to tears every time! However, have you ever thought about where this tradition comes from and the meaning behind it? What about how to customize it to be uniquely yours? Keep reading to learn all you need to about your upcoming first dance!
Why do we have a first dance in the first place?
If you’re a fan of days gone where there were formal balls filling evenings with fancy food, incredible outfits and hours of dancing, then you probably already know the origins of the first dance. In the days of royalty and nobility, around the 16th-17th Century in fact, the beginning of a ball was signified by a grand opening dance. This was usually done by the guest of honor or those with the highest social standing. Eventually the others in attendance would join in and the party will have officially begun! At a wedding, the guests of honor are the newly married couple, hence their first dance marking the start of the reception and party time.
How to make your first dance special
We love seeing couples making their wedding and all that they do on their day unique to them, so here are some ideas for making your dance special!
- Take dance lessons before your big day! You can treat this like a date night before the wedding day and really wow the crowd with your impeccable moves.
- Choreograph a unique dance number with not just your new spouse, but with your whole wedding party! Extra points if you get grandma and grandpa involved.
- In addition to the traditional first dance, share a ‘last dance’ alone with your partner to really soak in the fact that you are finally married.
- Have a favorite dance scene from a movie? Be bold! Try to recreate this for your guests to have dinner and a show!
- Surprise your significant other with a customized song that tells your love story. Although, they may be too tearful to actually dance to this when the time comes.
- Surprise guests by doing an outfit change into a fun party number before coming out! Another recent trend has been chopping off your hair in between ceremony and reception- props to those brave souls!
- Before your first dance, show something special like a video of the couple speaking about their love story or a clip from family who couldn’t be present, wishing them years of love and happiness.
- If you don’t like attention, have a special dance with your partner for the first minute or so of the song, then invite guests to join you!
At the end of the day, your wedding day and all its components should be reflective of you and your partner and the love you have for one another. Do what makes you and your partner feel happy, and you won’t go wrong. We can’t wait to see how you make your dance unique!
Associate Wedding Coordinator | Content Creator
Cue The Champagne Event Planning and Design Chattanooga Tennessee’s Premier
Wedding Planning and Event Studio Owned by Chattanooga Wedding Planner and Wedding Coordinator Shaun M.Teague
Cue the Champagne Event Planning + Design offers Wedding Day Event Management Services formerly known as Day of Wedding Coordination, Full Service Wedding Planning Services, Chattanooga Wedding Flowers ,Elopement Planning and Event Design Services for all your Social and Corporate Events. Cue The Champagne Event Planning and Design also offer Chattanooga Wedding Flowers for your wedding and event planning needs.
Cue The Champagne Event Planning + Design caters to Weddings and Events in Chattanooga Tennessee and Atlanta, Georgia Wedding locations and Worldwide.